This year, our class participated in Innovation Day! This was a project day... and each student got to decide what they wanted to learn and how they would share what they have learned with others. The idea of Innovation Day comes from an Australian company's tradition known as Atlassian FedEx Day. You can read about it on their website. (There is a great TED video that discusses problem solving and creativity at that website, if you have a moment to watch it!) For Innovation Day, each child gets to select a topic to learn more about. They can really choose anything at all that 1) can be learned about in one day at school; and 2) they have to be able to create something original to show what they have learned.
Today, the students came in prepared to learn, collaborate, and create at school! Parents, administrators, and teachers walked through our room as we we working on our projects. At the end of the day, each student had created something to share what they had learned with others. The sky really was the limit!
These are the projects the students created:
- Building a website
- Create a Pac Man game using Scratch
- Design a mod for Minecraft
- Original song using GarageBand
- Animoto of models of buildings all over the world
- Research organic foods and make an organic salad
- Build a model of the Eiffel Tower
- Create a drawing of a potential 4th PowerPuff girl
- Build a solar powered car
- Learn to play a song on a guitar
What a great day!